Faulkton, a friendly town of 785 people, is the county
seat of Faulk County, South Dakota, situated between the James and Missouri
Rivers, along U.S. Highway 212. The county area is 1,008 square miles and
was named for Territorial Governor Andrew J. Faulk, hence the name Faulkton.
The community was founded in 1882, before South Dakota became a
state. It became the county seat in 1886 when the railroad by-passed
LaFoon, the first county seat - now designated by a historic marker five miles
east of Faulkton at the intersection of Hwys 45 and 212. Faulkton is near
the geographical center of the county.
The Nixon Creek or River, as it is called locally (South Fork of
the Snake, officially) flows past the community of Faulkton. Is is also
the source of beautiful Lake Faulkton, two miles to the west.
Faulkton is a farming/ranching community. Its economy
depends heavily on agriculture. A wide range of crops from wheat, oats,
corn, rye and sunflowers, are grown in the area. Livestock producers
abound throughout the Faulkton area with beef, hog and sheep operations
dominating the industry.
For more information contact the Faulkton Economic Development
Joel Price, Chairman c/o Faulkton School-Faulkton (605) 598-6266