Historic Sites
Home ] Businesses ] Churches ] Government ] Education & All School Reunion ] [ Historic Sites ] Coming Events ] City Council ] Lodging ] Organizations  Home ] Recreation ] Wild West Days ]

 

 

 


Historic Sites


 

HISTORY

On July 22, 1981, Bob Ketterling of Faulkton purchased a Charles W. Parker Carousel at an auction Edgemont, S.D.
The Carousel is No. 8, manufactured in 1925 by the C.W. Parker Co. of Leavenworth, Kansas. It has 19 of the 20 original aluminum horses and the 2 chariot seats, one red and one blue.

In August of 1981, he began giving free rides to all and planned "the Happy Times Park" around the carousel.

He died in 1988 and Faulkton was named the "Carousel City" in his memory.

In 1990 the City purchased the Carousel from his widow.

 

Carousel Hours (in season)

Wed. Evenings: 7 - 9 p.m.
Sat. &  Sun.: 3 - 5 p.m. & 6:30 - 8 p.m.

At other times for groups or special occasions it can be operated by contacting the City of Faulkton, 598-6515.

Pickler Mansion
900 8th Ave. S.  Box 584
Faulkton, SD  57438
605-598-4285

Open for tours 1-4 p.m. daily Memorial Day - Labor Day

Maloney School Museum
located adjacent to Pickler Mansion

 

Historic Markers

Gov. Frank M. Byrne Historic Marker
east edge of Faulkton
Lafoon Historic Marker
5 mi. east of Hwy 212 and 1/2 mi. N.
 
National Register of Historic Places
Gov. Frank M. Byrne Home
1017 St. John Street
(Owned privately by Arlene Heller)
H.O. Turner Home
1006 Main (Hwy 212)
(Owned privately by Richard Shackle)
Dr. William Edgerton Home
308 10th Avenue S.
Faulkton, SD  57438
(Owned privately by Dorothy Huss)

 

Pickler Mansion
900 8th Ave. S.,  Box 584
Faulkton, SD  57438
605-598-4285

Faulk County Courthouse- 110 9th Ave. S.

Greener Murals in the third floor courtroom